Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes: Boston

Boston holds a special place in my heart for many reasons. I went to college there. I never liked cities, but that's one of the things that's so great about it. It's a city, but it still feels like a small town in many ways. I felt safer there in the middle of the night than I ever did during the day in New York. Quaint little streets. Amazing architecture. Tons of history. And some of the best, most loyal and caring people I've ever met. I used to stand at the top of Heartbreak Hill, 21 miles into the marathon and cheer for all those amazing runners. It was one of the days I looked forward to every year living there. Today's quotes are for you, Boston, starting with one of my favorite quotes ever from a poet who grew up there.







"I've run the Boston Marathon 6 times before. I think the best aspects of the marathon are the beautiful changes of the scenery along the route and the warmth of the people's support. I feel happier every time I enter this marathon."
Haruki Murakami 


“In Boston they ask, how much does he know? In New York, how much is he worth? In Philadelphia, who were his parents?” - Mark Twain

“I guess God made Boston on a wet Sunday.” - Raymond Chandler


''Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau 


"For Boston, for Boston, 
We sing our proud refrain! 
For Boston, for Boston, 
'Tis Wisdom's earthly fane. 
For here all are one 
And their hearts are true, 
And the towers on the Heights 
Reach to Heav'ns own blue. 
For Boston, for Boston, 
Till the echoes ring again!"
        - T.J. Hurley, "Boston College Fight Song"








No comments:

Post a Comment