Thursday, July 11, 2013

Review: The Night is Watching by Heather Graham

The Night is Watching (Krewe of Hunters, #9)Heather Graham
May 28, 2013
Harlequin
400 pages
Synopsis:

The dead of night

The Old West town of Lily, Arizona, is home to the Gilded Lily, a former theater…and bawdy house. These days, it offers theatrical productions geared to tourists, but the recent discovery of a skull, a real skull, among the props and costumes shakes everyone up.

So, who do you call? The Krewe of Hunters, a special FBI unit of paranormal investigators. In this case, it's agent Jane Everett. Jane's also a talented artist who creates images of the dead as they once were. But the Krewe always works with local law enforcement, and here that means Sloan Trent, former Houston cop and now sheriff. His great-great-grandmother was an actress at the Gilded Lily and she's not resting in peace.

Then more remains appear in the nearby desert. As they search for answers, using all the skills at their disposal, Jane and Sloan find themselves falling into danger and into love.


Review: 

I'm a big fan of Heather Graham's. I've read and enjoyed a couple of the other books in this Krewe of Hunters series, but this one was a disappointment. The mystery was a bit hard to follow, and not really suspenseful, and the romance was forced. It really felt like the hero/heroine were together because they just had nothing else to do. I felt no chemistry between them. The Old West/Ghost town imagery was nice and a refreshing change from most books I read, but most of the characters felt flat and cliched. I've read enough of Ms. Graham's other works to know this isn't the norm for her, so I'm willing to give her another try in the future. Unless you are a hard-core fan of Ms. Graham, I'd skip this one.

The Night is Watching: 2.5/5 stars
Cover: 3.5/5 stars



3 comments:

  1. I love Heather's books! This one is definitely going on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m big fan of Heather's books too. This one is my next for reading :)
    Great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of Heather's books! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete