Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes: Science!

Although most of the books I read are romance or YA fiction, every so often I still go back to my educational roots and pick up a non-fiction science book. I am sad I never got the chance to meet my hero Carl Sagan before he died, but I am super-excited to get to meet Richard Dawkins at this year's BEA, and another hero, Bertrand Russell's birthday was this past week. So, in honor of them, and all the other great thinkers out there who make science readable to the masses, this week's Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes is all about SCIENCE!


“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” 
― Carl Sagan

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” 
― Bertrand Russell

“Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind.” 
― Bertrand Russell

“In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.” 
― Bertrand Russell

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.” 
― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion


“In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.” 
― Carl Sagan


“The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.” 
― Isaac Asimov

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is to not stop questioning.” 
― Albert Einstein, Relativity: The Special and the General Theory




No comments:

Post a Comment