Sunday, June 5, 2011

a beginning...

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers."  - Charles W. Eliot, The Happy Life
Whenever I begin to read a new book, I always feel excited and just a bit apprehensive. What if I spend all this time reading it, and I don't like it? But, luckily, that feeling is almost always gone by the end of chapter one, and then the book starts to feel like a friend. Appropriately, starting this blog is creating that same feeling which is 99% excitement and 1% apprehension. I'm hoping after a post or two all the nervousness will be gone, and I'll be left with a few new friends. One can never have too many.

I will have a review for you shortly, but for now I thought I'd give you a short list of some of my favorite books. Maybe we have one in common, and if not, maybe we will soon. Either way, thanks for visiting our brand new site!

-Laura

Some of the favorites (for right now, anyway) in my bookcase:
  • Favorite adult fiction book: Different Seasons, Stephen King
  • Favorite young adult book (read as a young adult): A Wrinkle In Time, Madeleine L'Engle
  • Favorite young adult book (read as an adult): Catching Fire (Hunger Games series #2), Suzanne Collins
  • Favorite biography: It's Always Something, Gilda Radner
  • Favorite non-fiction: (tie) The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, Carl Sagan, and Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, Mary Roach
  • Favorite children's book (read as a child): (tie) The Lorax, Dr. Seuss, and The Monster at the End of This Book, Joe Stone
  • Favorite children's book (read as an adult): Interrupting Chicken, David Ezra Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment