Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Review Delirium by Lauren Oliver

GOODREADS SUMMARY:

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


Publisher : Harper Collins

Source: BEA Giveaway





I had heard and read lots of great things about this book and new it was on my to read list. When I found out the Lauren Oliver was going to be at the BEA this year signing this book, I knew I had to be on that line. After waiting for over an hour to get this book and meeting Lauren (who was extremely nice even after signing books for over an hour) I knew this was going to be the first book I read from my BEA loot. I must say I was not disappointed in my choice. I truly enjoyed this book. It started out a little slow for me, it was a lot of back round information but about 1/4 was into the book it started to pick up and by the last 100 pages I could not stop reading. One particular aspect of the story I liked was the Book of Shhh (The Safety,Health, and Happiness Handbook). I enjoyed the clever way the author gave you the rules from this book making this world seem possible. How people could find actual medical problems(e.g stress, depression, heart disease) as symptoms that were caused by love (amor deliria nervosa). The author put a lot of thought into creating this world and its almost is if she wrote two books. I was shocked by the plot twists towards the end and the cliffhanger she left us with. I know I will be anxiously awaiting the 2nd book of this series, Pandemonium which is slated to come out in March 2012.


BOOK : 4.5/5 Cover: 4/5 ( I like the cover for the special edition version more)

1 comment:

  1. I saw this on your currently reading list and was waiting to hear what you thought! I'll have to check out the special edition cover. I had an ARC that also had a different cover. I wonder why they keep changing it?
    Have you read Matched by Ally Condie? Similar concept as Delirium and I liked it just as much (if not a little bit more!)

    ReplyDelete