Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review: The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen Series, book 2) by Amanda Stevens

Published: March 27, 2012 by Mira
376 pp. 

Synopsis: 
Deep in the shadowy foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains lies a dying town…

My name is Amelia Gray. They call me The Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.

Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town—this withering kingdom—and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.

Review: 
If you read my previous review, you'll know I LOVED the Restorer (Book #1 in Amanda Stevens' Graveyard Queen Series). The only thing I didn't like was how many questions it left unanswered at the end. That's why I was very disappointed that the original release date for Book 2 - The Kingdom, was pushed back. Needless to say, when I finally got my hands on a copy, I was brimming with anticipation.

Maybe that's why I was a little disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong, the Kingdom stands alone as a great, exciting mystery/suspense. Stevens' writing is as spine-tingling and intriguing as always. And, yes, one or two questions leftover-ed from the Restorer were answered. But, I really didn't feel like this was part of a series. I missed Devlin and his ghosts. I didn't feel nearly as connected to this whole new set of people as I did to him and kept wishing he was about to make an appearance. I wouldn't even categorize this as a romance novel at all. The chemistry between what would be the romantic leads was very flat and forced. But, like I said before, the story itself was enough to keep me reading. And the little mentions of Devlin just made me more excited to read Book 3. Hopefully, I won't have to wait as long for that one!

The Kingdom: 3.5/5

The Restorer: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment