Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes: Independence Day!

Happy Birthday America! 




“My country owes me nothing. It gave me, as it gives every boy and girl, a chance. It gave me schooling, independence of action, opportunity for service and honor.”― Herbert Hoover
"O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life.
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee,
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea."
          -Katharine Lee Bates, America the Beautiful
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
     -John Adams
"All men are created equal and have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
   -Thomas Jefferson, In the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776
"When an American says that he loves his country, he means not only that he loves the New England hills, the prairies glistening in the sun, the wide and rising plains, the great mountains, and the sea.  He means that he loves an inner air, an inner light in which freedom lives and in which a man can draw the breath of self-respect."  ~Adlai Stevenson
 “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.”  - Franklin D. Roosevelt








No comments:

Post a Comment