Sunday, June 2, 2013

Review: True by Erin McCarthy

True
Erin McCarthy
May 7, 2013
Penguin Group
222 pages

Synopsis:

When Rory Macintosh’s roommates find out that their studious and shy friend has never been with a guy, they decide that, as an act of kindness they’ll help her lose her virginity by hiring confident, tattooed bad boy Tyler Mann to do the job…unbeknownst to Rory.

Tyler knows he’s not good enough for Rory. She’s smart, doctor smart, while he’s barely scraping by at his EMT program, hoping to pull his younger brothers out of the hell their druggy mother has left them in. But he can’t resist taking up her roommates on an opportunity to get to know her better. There’s something about her honesty that keeps him coming back when he knows he shouldn’t…

Torn between common sense and desire, the two find themselves caught up in a passionate relationship. But when Tyler’s broken family threatens to destroy his future, and hers, Rory will need to decide whether to cut her ties to his risky world or follow her heart, no matter what the cost…

***********************************************

Review: 

I absolutely loved this book from the moment I picked it up (or opened it in my kindle). It felt very reminiscent of Beautiful Disaster, but different enough to keep me reading - plus, I LOVED that book, so why wouldn't I want to read more like it? I completely related to brainy good-girl Rory (whose name had me continuously picturing Gilmore Girls), and I loved how devoted Tyler was to his brothers (the "TRUE" tattoo? Perfect.) What I didn't like was the ending. About 75% in, the tone changed and it became much more negative than I liked. And then it just ended- so abruptly with no real resolution to questions that I really felt should have been answered here. I guess there might be a sequel coming (which I hadn't known when I started reading - and it doesn't even have another one listed on Goodreads), but I really like to know that ahead of time. Still, I enjoyed the first part of the book so much, I'm keeping it at 4 stars.

True: 4/5 stars
Cover: 3/5 stars


3 comments:

  1. Well, now that you mentioned Gilmore Girls, I think I need to read this one. ;)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the author was a Gilmore Girls fan - the name and description really fit. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Seem like another book to be on my list :)

    ReplyDelete