Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Better than Fifty Shades: A Review of Bared to You by Sylvia Day

The erotic fiction market is booming, thanks in no small way to Fifty Shades of Grey. Many people are wondering what else is out there that has that same kind of pull. As my co-blogger Tanya mentioned in her post below, Sarah Wendell from Smart B*tches, Trashy Books has written a great article on the topic. But she left out Sylvia Day's Bared to You which should be included for the simple fact that it is practically the same book.


Bared To You by Sylvia Day
Published April 3, 2012 

Paperback, 360 pages.

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 
Our journey began in fire... Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily... Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires. The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...


 The comparisons to Fifty Shades of Grey are obvious: Uber-hot, young, billionaire with control issues stemming from an abusive past meets younger woman who is the first to challenge him and make him try for "more". There is very little mention of the BDSM lifestyle that Fifty is known for, but the possessiveness and control-freak attitude is there. As is the feeling that it all happened awfully fast. I read all three books in the Fifty Shades series recently, so it was fresh in my mind and hard not to see the resemblance. But I say, who cares? I loved Fifty and I was more than happy to get that feeling back again with Gideon and Eva in Bared to You. In Sarah's article, she wonders what exactly it is about Fifty that draws readers in. For me, I think it is that intensity and possessiveness - there's just something about a tortured man who needs you and is willing to do anything to have you. Plus, it creates so many of those tension-filled arguments that I love in romance novels so much.
 Sylvia Day's concept may not be original, but her writing is oh-so compelling, I really didn't care that I've seen this all before. Her book has the polish and readability that Fifty Shades often lacks. Plus, it doesn't hurt that it is filled with super-hot, raw sex, the kind that makes you squirm just to read it. "What you make me feel, Eva...it hurts...it's wonderful" You can't help but feel some of that wonderful pain right along with him. Loved it.
 So, it is my recommendation for anyone who finished reading the Fifty series and is missing it...Bared to You is a must read.
Bared to You: 4.5/5 stars. 
Cover (not shown due to explicit nature, but click here to see it): 3.5/5 stars 



2 comments:

  1. Apparently, this book just jumped to the top of my TBR pile for this weekend. Michael is working so I will have time to read

    ReplyDelete