Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes




hero.  Did you know that Memorial Day was originally celebrated to honor those Union soldiers who died in the Civil War? It has now been extended to honor all those who have given their lives in any war. I'm dedicating this Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes to all those we call "hero." We know that freedom is not free, and for that we thank you.

"Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
 “Anyone can slay a dragon ...but try waking up every morning and loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero.” ― Brian Andreas
 "We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." -  Will Rogers
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
"A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." - Joseph Campbell
“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.” ― Veronica Roth, Divergent
"O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won...
The ship is anchored safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;
Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead."
- Walt Whitman, O Captain! My Captain! (written for Abraham Lincoln)

2 comments:

  1. Not only do I LOVE this Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes, but this one in particular hits the heart! Very nice. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete