Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes

In honor of Children's Book Week and as we say a fond farewell to Maurice Sendak, who died yesterday at the age of 83, this week's Wednesday's Words & Quippish Quotes are from the man himself and the books we grew up loving.



“And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!” 
- Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are


“I said anything I wanted because I don't believe in children, I don't believe in childhood. I don't believe that there's a demarcation. 'Oh you mustn't tell them that. You mustn't tell them that.' You tell them anything you want. Just tell them if it's true. If it's true, you tell them.” - Maurice Sendak

“I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more.” - Maurice Sendak

“'What is an only goat?"
 "A lonely goat," answered Kenny. 
The rooster shut one eye and looked at Kenny. "can you hear a horse on the roof?" he asked.
 "If you know how to listen in the night," said Kenny.
 "Can you fix a broken promise?"
 "Yes," said Kenny,"if it only looks broken,but really isn't."
 The rooster drew his head back into his feathers and whispered, "What is a very narrow escape?"
 "When somebody almost stops loving you," Kenny whispered back.”
 - Maurice Sendak, Kenny's Window

“But the wild things cried, “Oh please don’t go - we’ll eat you up - we love you so!” And Max said, “No!” The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws but Max stepped into his private boat and waved goodbye.” 
- Maurice Sendak, Where the Wild Things Are


Maurice Sendak
1928-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment