Saturday, May 5, 2012

Review: Dangerous Secrets by Lisa Renee Jones



Dangerous Secrets (Tall, Dark & Deadly #2)
Lisa Renee Jones
April 6, 2012
259 pages (Kindle ebook)

About the Series (from Goodreads): 
The Walker Brothers...
 Tall, dark, and deadly, these three brothers run Walker security. Each brother is unique in his methods and skills, but all share key similarities. They are passionate about those they love, relentless when fighting for a cause they believe in, and all believe that no case is too hard, no danger too dark. Dedication is what they deliver, results are their reward.

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 
Being a divorce attorney for the rich and famous isn't all it's cracked up to be. Julie Harrison has learned that love doesn't last, and she's sworn never to make the same mistakes as her mother, or her clients. She uses the games men play to keep them at a distance. The only man who managed to break down her walls was Luke Walker, a Navy SEAL who loved her and left her, and changed her forever. When Luke arrives back in New York, running Walker Security with his brothers and having left his Navy SEAL days behind, he sets his sights on Julie, the woman he's always wanted and couldn't have. Except, she runs from him every time he gets close. But now, one of Julie's clients, a powerful judge, gets involved with a dangerous cartel, and his soon-to-be-ex wife ends up dead. Julie's next on the list, and she finds herself on the run from those who believe she knows too much, and counting on Luke to keep her alive. In the deepest, darkest moments of the night, passion will bring them together while danger threatens to tear them apart. Can Julie and Luke trust each other and find their happy ending before they find ... the end?


Review:
I have been hearing such great things about Lisa Renee Jones' books and I was not disappointed in the least! Within the first few paragraphs of being introduced to the main characters, Julie and Luke, I could feel the tension between them. I fell in love with Luke almost immediately and who wouldn't? Hot ex-SEAL who still has that super-protective instinct and who never got over Julie after their previous short-lived affair? Plus, in true romance novel fashion, his brothers are all super sexy too (and they each have, or I assume will have, their own book in this series...yay!) The "suspense" aspect of the book was good too, although in my mind it took a backseat to the romance. The secondary characters involved there were a bit caricaturish and predictable. Still, there was more than enough drama there to keep me reading till the end. And when I got to the end, I wanted more from Luke and Julie. I guess I can only hope we'll get to see them a bit in book 3. :)

 Even though this is part of a series, it stands alone without any problem. I hadn't read the other book in this series and I didn't feel lost at all, but I definitely want to go back and read the first one now!

 Fans of romantic suspense (like that of Lori Foster) you should absolutely check this book out!

Dangerous Secrets: 4.5/5 stars
Cover(Kindle edition): 3.5/5 stars (only because the girl was a little too young and bleach-blonde to be Julie in my opinion.)

***There is a contest going on RIGHT NOW to win a copy of this book (kindle version) over on the blog Froggarita's Bookcase - ends Sunday Night, May 7th - CLICK HERE TO GO THERE NOW! ********




2 comments:

  1. Great review! I can appreciate being wary of romance as a divorce attorney--I'm a psychologist and watching couples fight in therapy is a big turnoff to marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say that because I work as a Physician Assistant and I had one week a couple months ago where about 5 of my patients came in with major marital issues. They couldn't function because of it (and I probably ended up sending them to someone like you)! I took that as I sign that I should never get married - or at least think long and hard before making that decision :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete